Favorite Recipes from The Victorian Garden
Grandma Sarah's Sand Tarts
1 pound salted butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
4-1/2 cups flour
Cinnamon heart candy
Sugar/cinnamon mix for sprinkling
Cream butter, gradually adding sugar , eggs, & vanilla
Heat vinegar & add baking soda add to above mix.
Gradually mix in flour.
Cover & chill overnight.
*Preheat oven to 350. Butter some cookie sheets.
Roll out dough to 1/8" on floured surface. Cut into desire shape with floured cookie cutter & top with connamon heart candy. Place on baking sheet about 1" apart. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges have just begun to brown. Transfer to cooling racks & sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Spring Salad with Seasonal Fruit
I use whatever fruit happens to be at hand. This salad calls for Strawberries & Blueberries but you could also toss in mandarin oranges, blackberries, or raspberries. This salad is also delicious with a Pomegrnate vinaigrette, available at most grocery stores.
¾ pound mixed spring greens
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled & quartered
1 pint fresh blueberries
*Sweet & spicy pecans-(recipe follows)
*Balsamic vinaigrette-(recipe follows)
½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
3 Tablespoons Honey
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or run through press
2 small shallots, finely minced or run through press
¼ teaspoon salt-preferably Sea Salt
¼ teaspoon fresh, ground pepper
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Whisk together first seven ingredients, then gradually whisk in olive oil.
Sweet & Spicy Pecans
*1 cup pecan halves
¼ cup sugar
1 cup warm water
Stir together sugar & water till sugar is completely dissolved. Add pecans, toss & soak ten minutes. Drain & discard syrup. Set aside.
*2 Tablespoons Sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
dash red pepper
In small dish combine sugar & seasonings. Sprinkle over pecans, tossing well to coat. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly grease pan. Spread pecans on foil-lined, greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring once. Allow to cool, then sprinkle over salad greens.
Toss greens with vinaigrette. Divid between 6 plates. Arrange berries over greens & sprinkle with pecans. Serve.
· 1-1/4 cups sugar
· 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (sprinkle & toss with the peaches)
· 4 cups fresh peaches, peeled & sliced
· 2 tablespoons butter
· Pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
Combine the sugar, flour & cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in the peach slices, folding to coat with the sugar/flour mixture.
Pour peaches into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust, seal edges & crimp. Cut vents in top crust with a sharp knife. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- 1 Baguette Italian or French Bread
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 fresh basil leaves finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- fresh ground black pepper to taste-(about 1/8 teaspoon)
- pinch salt-(preferably sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bunch fresh basil leaves, Zinnia Flowers, Nasturtium flowers/leaves, fresh oregano on stem
1. Slice the bread into 1/2" thick slices. Brush each side with olive oil. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes per side or till lightly browned. Cool on rack and set aside.
2. Combine chopped tomatoes, onions, tablespoon olive oil, basil leaves, pepper, salt and red wine vinegar. Stir together and refridgerate until ready to serve.
3. On large serving platter arrange basil leaves, put cup of seasoned tomatoes in center of platter and arrange bread slices on top of basil leaves around the platter. Garnish here and there with clean, pesticide-free Zinnia flower heads and nasturtium flowers and leaves. Encircle entire platter with fresh oregano on stems and serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese. A beautiful summer appetizer you can prepare in advance and arrange just before serving.
Stir Fry Italian Vegetables
- 1 Zuccinni, cleaned and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 Summer Squash, cleaned and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- Handfull green and wax beans, cleaned and ends snipped
- 1 small to medium sweet onion, quartered
- 1 Red Pepper, diced in large chunks
- 1 Clove Garlic, diced
- 2 Large Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Salad dressing-(I used Newman's Own)
- 2 Teaspoons Italian or Pesto Seasoning-(I use my own Perfect Pesto)
1. In large Wok or deep skillet add olive oil, vegetables, seasoning, and salad dressing. Heat over medium heat tossing occassionally.
2. Cook until barely fork tender.
3. Serve as an accompaniment to your entree. Or toss with your choice of cooked pasta & it becomes the entree. Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil. Don't forget to pass the cheese, break off a hunk of crusty bread & dip in some olive oil!
Hope you enjoy my recipes and make herbs a part of your pantry staples. We tuck in herbs everywhere we can in our garden and in all our cooking.
ZUCCHINI TART WITH TOMATO & PESTO
1 PIE CRUST
2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
1/2 SWEET ONION-THINLY SLICED
1 CLOVE GARLIC-PEELED & CHOPPED
1 LEEK-CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS-*OPTIONAL
1 MEDIUM ZUCCHINI-SLICED INTO ½” THICK STICKS
1 MEDIUM TOMATO- SLICED
SALT & PEPPER
3 TABLESPOONS PESTO-HOMEMADE OR STORE-BOUGHT
2-3 TABLESPOONS FRESH BASIL LEAVES
6 OUNCES LIGHT CREAM-1/2 & ½ OR MILK-(I USED SKIM MILK FOR THIS & IT TURNED OUT FINE)
2 OUNCES PARMESAN CHEESE SHREDDED OR GRATED
3 TABLESPOONS TOASTED PINE NUTS
PREHEAT OVEN TO 375. ROLL OUT PASTRY CRUST PLACE IN TART TIN WITH REMOVABLE BASE.
CHILL 30 MINUTES AND BAKE BLIND FOR 10-15 MINUTES TILL PASTRY IS LIGHTLY COLORED BUT NOT FULLY COOKED.
MEANWHILE PREPARE FILLING. HEAT OIL IN LARGE FRYING PAN & COOK ONION GENTLY FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES. ADD GARLIC, ZUCCHINI, GARLIC, & LEAKS & COOK UNTIL ZUCCHINI IS JUST TENDER. REMOVE FROM PAN & LIGHTLY COOK TOMATO SLICES ABOUT 3 MINUTES PER SIDE. SEASON WITH SALT & PEPPER.
ALLOW PIE CRUST TO COOL SLIGHTLY & SPREAD PESTO EVENLY OVER THE BOTTOM. ARRANGE ZUCCHINI OVER PESTO & TOP WITH TOMATO SLICES. SCATTER BASIL ON TOP.
BEAT TOGETHER EGGS & CREAM OR MILK. SEASON WITH SALT & PEPPER AND POUR OVER VEGETABLES. SCATTER PARMESAN NEXT AND THEN THE PINE NUTS. LOWER OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 350 AND BAKE FOR 30-40 MINUTES OR TILL THE FILLING IS GOLDEN BROWN, RISEN & JUST SET.